Assassinations continue in Arauca
The Joel Sierra Human Rights Foundation denounces to international and national public opinion, through the network of international and national human rights NGOs, the following facts:
1. On March 21, 2007, at about 5:20 pm, Alexander Caballero Rodríguez, 29 years old, was assassinated in the urban zone of Saravena.
2. On March 25, 2007, at about 6:00 pm, in the place known as la Caseta, in the El Pescado neighborhood, Eugenio Ramón Espitia, 42 years old, was assassinated.
3. David Agudelo Henao, 31 years old, was assassinated on March 26, 2007, in the town of Saravena.
4. With these new assassinations, once again the fact that this region continues to be one of the most violent areas of the country is confirmed. This, despite the strong militarization and economic and humanitarian aid of the U. S. empire, and despite the area¹s having been declared a war zone, supposedly to regain institutional control.
5. The policy of ³democratic security² offered by the national government as a strategy for ending the violence and the actions of armed groups of opposition, has increased, rather than reduced bloody encounters in the eastern part of Colombia.
6. We call on the institutions of justice and control of the government to push forward the investigation of these facts, as well as of the possible omissions and mistakes in service that eventually could have happened. We urgently call for the immediate adoption of measures needed to protect the civilian population, preserving their fundamental rights and guaranteeing peace.
For the defense of life, human rights, and remaining on the land.
Joel Sierra Human Rights Foundation
Our social action is legal and legitimate.